Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Socratic Seminar Morrie Reflectiom

Prompts:
*Explain how the past four Socratic Seminars have influenced your thinking about Tuesdays with Morrie and life in general.

*What trends did you notice with yourself and your personal goals for each seminar? How did your personal goal(s) change and what did you actively do to change throughout our last four discussions?

*What trends did you notice with the class for each seminar? What did you notice that helped or hindered a specific seminar?

The past four seminars have influenced my thinking on life from reading the book Tuesday's with Morrie, mainly because the lessons are useful and relatable in ways. Some lessons that were useful were lessons on how to live a better life and to not take things for granted. The Socratic Seminars really helped me think more on certain subjects such as death and love and it really made me think on how if I'm not happy with my life then I can make a difference and try to make my life better. The Socratic Seminars really made me think about how to live a better life and to appreciate the things I have because you never know when it is your turn to die.

Some trends that I noticed throughout the Socratic Seminar is how throughout all of the Seminars we talked about death. Death is a very morbid subject however the life you live before it should hopefully be influential to others. I noticed that throughout all of the seminars that one of my goals was to draw other people in the conversation and I did this once. I didn't really accomplish this goal because I would find it very awkward to draw someone else in. Another reason why I did not accomplish this goal was because I didn't want to look like I was putting them on the spot. Instead for future seminars I will try to draw others into a conversation by asking them how they felt or their initial reactions to something that happened in the book.


A trend I noticed with the class is that with each Seminar we made connections to other pieces of literature such as, To Kill A Mockingbird and A Child Called It. I think we made these connections because different characters relate to certain people or ideas in the novel. Another trend that was brought upon throughout the novel was how strange Morrie's behaviors were. We all mainly thought that Morrie's behaviors were strange because throughout the novel Morrie kept a positive attitude. As a class we discussed how we would react if we were in his place and how we differ from him in different scenarios.

No comments:

Post a Comment