Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Night 2-24-16

Prompt: How do Elie's experiences during the Holocaust  change him as a person.

          The Holocaust changed Elie's life completely in many ways, one is when Elie and his religion. In the beginning of the book Elie is very religious and then in the middle of the book he starts to question if god's even real and begins to lose faith. At the end of the book Elie soon comes back to his religion for that is the only thing that he has.

          In the beginning of the book Elie Wiesel is very religious, in the book on page 3 (new edition) it says "By day I studied Talmud and by night I would run to the synagogues to weep over the destruction of the Temple.". Right away you cant tell that he is highly pious man. Later in the book we are introduced to Moshe who is also very religious and plays almost like a mentor for Elie. In the book on page five it says "And Moshie the Beadle, the poorest of the poor of Sighet, spoke to me for hours on end about the Kabbalah's revelations and its mysteries."to me this quote shows how Elie was very devout in his religion and was very passionate in his religion.

          Later on in the book Ellie starts to question god's existence and this really does change Elie's attitude. In the book on page 33 when Elie is marching he begins to hear people pray and he then says "For the first time, I felt anger rising within me. Why would I want to sanctify his name? The almighty the terrible Master of the Universe, chose to be silent." .A little bit later in the book on page 34 where it says "Never shall I forget those moments that murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams into ashes. Never shall I forget those things, ever were I condemned to live as long as God himself. Never." This quote shows how Ellie himself and his Views on God is starting to change and  soon starts to lose himself.

          Towards the end to the book Elie starts to get back into religion because of what the Rabi's son has done. Near the end of the book the Rabi started to run quick intentionally to get aways from his father because he believe the he would only slow him down and so what Elie does is pray that he will never end up like the Rabi's son because he doesn't want to end up like him and abandon his father. In the book on page 91 he says "It was good that I had forgotten all that. And I was glad that Rabbi Eliahu continued to search for his beloved son. And in spite of myself, a prayer formed inside me, a prayer to this God in whom I no longer believed. 'Oh god, Master of the Universe, give me the strength never to do what Rabbi Eliahu's son had done". This quote shows me on how no matter what Elie still has that faith because he hopes to never do something that bad to his father because at that moment that the only person he has.

          After reading this book I have learned on how the Holocaust had a huge impact on not only Elie's life but other peoples lives. Elie has gone from worshiping to not liking god and his experience must have been very traumatic. Elie has lost his mother, seen babies burn, watch his father die, to many other things however he continuously kept on moving in life and that's honestly very inspirational. I feel like I myself take things for granted and this book has taught me to cherish the things that I have while I still have them because, you never know when they may be taken from you.


         

No comments:

Post a Comment