Tuesday, November 24, 2015

TKAM Setting Blog

Prompt: You will be selecting a photograph that represents your idea of Maycomb, AL based on Harper Lee’s description.


Incorporating the different criteria from the Visual Literacy Guide, write a thoughtful, thorough, and well constructed response relating the photograph to Maycomb, AL.
In the photo I chose I can observe a number of different things that remind me of the books description of Maycomb. One of the things that I observe from the photo is a damaged building. This reminds me of the town Maycomb because in the book it says "Maycomb was an old town, but it was a tired old town when I knew it." (P.6). I believe that this quote helps represents Maycomb because this town in the photo looks a bit old in my opinion.! I belong eve this because on the side of the building you can see like warn out stains etc. In the picture I can also see a Coca-Cola sign in the back so by seeing this I can infer that this is almost like downtown. In the book it says "Go and eat downtown today" (P.25) based on this quote I can almost picture Walter running down this place to eat where the Coca-Cola sign is.

I think that this photo was made possibly for advertisement. I think this because in the photo they are taking pictures of possibly "main attractions" or the local areas to eat at. I believe that the audience that this photo was mainly targeted for is basically everyone because anyone can move anywhere if they really need to. If someone were to recreate this photo today I feel like there will obviously much more color in the photo. I think that there would also be new cars and people dressed in more modern clothing.

One question that I had from looking at the photo was what is Grady Lawless and Co. I think that this could be where Atticus might have worked at. I believe this because from our previous knowledge we know how Scout's father was a lawyer. This was one of the reasons why I picked this location. Another question that I also have is why is everyone in the photo African American. I understand how this was in the south however why aren't their any caucasian people in the photo.

Jack, and Delano. Main Street of Greensboro, Alabama. 1931. Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Photograph Collection (Library of Congress), Greensboro. 

1 comment:

  1. Justin - Overall nice job! Please go back and revise your sentences. There are many errors that you will catch if you read it out loud. Also, do not include the phrase "In my opinion..." Instead use the textual evidence from the novel and pull out your observations from the photo for your interpretations. Let me know if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete